Wednesday, October 7, 2009

You Call That Dancing?


My relationship with So You Think You Can Dance has always been a superficial one. The main purpose of SYTYCD in my life was to gently ease myself off of American Idol during the summer months and prevent me from developing full on withdrawal symptoms (which it did a fine job at doing). Apparently, I need a weekly talent fix with some sort of interactive voting process otherwise my life feels incomplete.

With the exception of a few brilliant moments – Jeanine and Philip’s performance of Kanye West’s “Love Lockdown” and Melissa and Ade’s heartbreaking interpretation of Maxwell’s “This Woman’s Work” from last season immediately spring to mind – I’ve found it hard to really become engaged with the show. I appreciate the talent to an incredible degree, but I personally don’t find dancing as mind-blowing and exciting as singing. Give me Adam Lambert belting out “A Change is Gonna Come” over a beautifully choreographed number any day. Plus, the end result seems somewhat anti-climactic. SYTYCD crowns America’s favorite dancer, which most likely will lead to a career as a bit player in a Broadway show or a movie musical if they’re lucky. The pop cultural impact remains minimal at best. With Idol, part of the excitement is having a hand in selecting the future players of the music industry – these are going to be the artists whose singles you’ll hear on the radio, see on MTV, and purchase on iTunes. But, like I said, it’s just a personal preference and I can totally see how others are completely entranced with all SYTYCD has to offer.

Season 6 of So You Think You Can Dance kicks in to full gear next week, and I’ll be on the couch recapping all the drama, talent, and hot tamale madness every Tuesday and Wednesday night. Maybe I’ll finally be amazed this year and become a SYTYCD convert? Stranger things have happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment