Friday, October 9, 2009

Project Runway Part 1


Project Runway has always been one of my favorite reality shows. Its sleek production, workroom drama, and overall fabulousness have kept me glued (or in this case, stitched) to my set for years. I’m fascinated the with design process and (since I’ve never had the privilege of going to an actual fashion show) admittedly get way too excited watching the models strut down the runway. If I block out everything around my TV, I can partially fool myself into thinking I’m sitting in Bryan Park during Fashion Week!

This season, the show packed up and moved to Los Angeles, but thankfully retained the majority of its form and style. Although, I have to say that a tiny portion of it's personality was left behind with the glimmer and grit of New York. LA, with its bright, palm tree laden skyline and overly glossed appearance just doesn’t offer the same oomph that the Big Apple did as a locale. Nothing against the City of Angels, but Runway always felt uniquely New York to me. The finale at Bryant Park fully integrated the show with NYC, and now it's been taken out of its element in a way. But, alas, it’s a minor complaint and unless I win the lottery and buy out Miramax from the Weinsteins , Heidi and Co. are staying put on the West Coast.

Since I’m a week behind with my Runway episodes (sacrilege!), this update is a double recap and a two-parter. So let’s travel all the way back to October 1st and get started…

Last week’s episode, entitled “Sky's The Limit”, involved the remaining 10 designers competing in teams to create 2 related looks – in blue - for Macy’s INC line. I’ve never been a huge fan of team challenges. I feel like each designer should stand on their own merits and be judged accordingly, but of course pairing up two creative individuals with giant egos and forcing them to work together always yields a healthy dose of reality show drama (and someone usually gets screwed over in the process). Speaking of giant egos, or lack thereof, can I just say that I’m enjoying three designers in particular this season for their grounded, down to earth personalities? Chris (who’s stunned us more than a few times with amazing garments on the runway), Althea (a girl I’d seriously love to go grab a martini or two with), and Logan (he’s understated, he’s hot, and he loves strutting around the apartment shirtless – what’s not to love?!) are all a breath of fresh air in the workroom and a great counter balance to the bitchiness of Irina and the catty pretentiousness of Nicolas.

Now, for the show...

Heidi, who usually looks fabulous, walks out from behind the Project Runway screen in a strange chain-link pajama ensemble and announces that this time one – or MORE – will be out! Drama! Michael Kors is back after being M.I.A. for weeks, but Nina Garcia is still absent from the panel.

Irina and Gordana are up. Their first outfit, a pretty and youthful sundress, is charming. The second look is a sheer blouse and skirt combo that I could definitely see being sold at Macy’s and bought by tons of women.

Althea and Logan are next and their first model explodes on to the runway in a KILLER suit. The outfit is so sexy and chic that if I was a woman, I’d wear that to work in a heartbeat. Their second design is a sleeveless, ruffled blouse with high-waisted denim slacks. I’m not as crazy about this one, but the blouse is definitely cute.

Oof. Louise and Nicolas miss the mark on this challenge big time. The first dress looks like it has a ruffled boa courtesy of the Miss Piggy collection stapled to the front of it and the second one unfortunately suffers a similar fate.

Carol Hannah and Shirin’s first look is sleek and classic, and I really enjoyed the contrast of the two tones between the top and the skirt. Their next look, though I can see being extremely commercial, just didn’t do it for me. I have to side with Tim Gunn on this one and say I’m anti-leggings.

Last up are Chris and Epperson, and while earlier in the episode I LOVED Chris’ shirt-dress idea, the final product just didn’t work. The shine of the material made the outfit look cheap and it didn’t quite fall right. I also was a disappointed in their second design, which was some weird, high-collared shiny top with the dreaded leggings. Chris is my favorite designer this season, but I just failed to get this one.

We return after the break to find that Althea and Logan are safe, which did shock me a bit. Their suit was absolutely amazing and they totally deserved to be, at least, in the top 2. Irina/Gordana and Carol Hannah/Shirin have the highest scores and Louise/Nicolas and Chris/Epperson have the lowest. Irina wins her 2nd challenge in a row, and Chris and Louise are in the bottom 2. Chris (thankfully)squeezes through by the skin of his teeth, and Louise – in all her ruffled glory - is out.

Check back tomorrow for the recap of this week's episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment